The 2011 Clean Energy Australia report, released at the UN climate negotiations in Durban, says that renewable energy provided nearly 10% of Australia’s electricity in a clean energy maket worth more than $5 billion last year.
Findings from the report include:
- Renewable energy produced 9.6% of Australia’s electricity in the 12 months from 1 October 2010 to 30 September 2011;
- Hydro-electricity accounted for 67% of the total;
- As of August 2011, only 1031 megawatts of solar power was installed in Australia;
- More than half a million household solar power systems are now installed on Australian rooftops;
- More than 230,000 household solar power systems were installed between January and August this year;
- The Australian clean energy market was worth an estinated $5.2 billion in the 2010-11 financial year;
- More than 8,000 people are directly employed in the installation, construction and maintenance of clean energy assets.